Subscribe

Research:

Text Search:


All Words
Any Word
Exact Phrase

With Images Only
Photos
Drawings
Files
Other
Show Per Page

Number Search:


Any Part
Exact Number
 Results 11424 to 11473 of 19938  | <<First | <Previous | Next> | Halfway To End | Last>>
 Image   Title   Description   Collection   Number   Document 
    CSX (ex B&O) GP40 No. 6016, still in Chessie System paint, working the yard at Clifton Forge, Va. in March, 1991. Henry Hoffman photo.    COHS   37305 
    COHS car collection, Smith Creek yard, Clifton Forge, Va. September, 1993. Henry Hoffman photo.   COHS   37306 
    Trenching to install water line, freight house grounds shortly after the COHS took possession,Emmit Kirts is inspecting the work. September, 1993. Henry Hoffman photo.    COHS   37307 
    C&O yard at the shops, with employee access elevator at right, looking west, Clifton Forge,Va. 1974. Henry Hoffman photo.   COHS   37308 
    C&O shops, with yard in foreground, Clifton Forge, Va. 1974. Henry Hoffman photo.   COHS   37309 
    East end of Clifton Forge, Va. yard, looking west from theRt. 220 bridge, with YMCA / station building visible in the background. 1974. Henry Hoffman photo.   COHS   37310 
    Overall view of Clifton Forge, Va. and Smith Creek yard and freight house from the Rt. 220 bridge, 1974. Henry Hoffman photo.   COHS   37311 
    Bridge across the Jackson River at the east end of the C&O shops, Clifton Forge, Va. 1974. Henry Hoffman photo.   COHS   37312 
    C&O Shops, Clifton Forge, Va. 1974. Turntable and radial tracks at left are all that is left of the old roundhouse. Henry Hoffman photo.   COHS   37313 
    Chessie System GE unit No. 8221 at the east end of the passenger platform, Clifton Forge, Va. 1974. Henry Hoffman photo.   COHS   37314 
    C&O Locomotive shops in Clifton Forge, Va. in 1974. Henry Hoffman photo.   COHS   37315 
    View of the YMCA Building (former Gladys Inn) at Clifton Forge, Va. seen from across the Jackson River in 1974. Henry Hoffman photo.   COHS   37316 
    C&O K-3 2-8-2 Mikado #1212. Right 3/4 view. Fulton Yard, Richmond, VA. 8/5/1948   COHS   37317 
    C&O K-3a 2-8-2 Mikado #2339. Left 3/4 view. Cheviot, OH engine terminal. 9-26-1948   COHS   37318 
    C&O Automobile Express car number 264 or 265 loading auto on ramp circa 1947. Official C&O PR Dept image.   COHS   37319 
    Iron Gate blast furnace on C&O circa 1900-1905 from 1906 C&O Industrial Guide page 130.   COHS   37320 
 Warwick Hotel; Newport News; Terminal; C&O. Catlin Collection   Warwick Hotel, Newport News, VA. 3/4 view. White border, "C. T. American Art Colored" RPPC published by Louis Kaufmann & Sons, Baltimore, Md. Printed by Curt Teich & Co., Chicago. Divided back, postally unused. C&O Postcard Collection of R. I. Catlin    COHS   37321 
 Newport News; Terminal; C&O. Catlin Collection   James River, from Warwick Hotel, Newport News, Va. Day-light view of Warwick Park; sailing ships at anchor in harbor; C&O passenger station on right border; Casino on left border. Color-tinted, un-divided back, postally unused. No. 6244, copyright, 1902, Detroit Photographic Co. C&O Postcard Collection of R. I. Catlin    COHS   37322 
 Newport News; Terminal; C&O. Catlin Collection   James River, from Hotel Warwick, Newport News, Va. Sunrise view of Warwick Park; sailing ships at anchor in harbor; C&O passenger station on right border; Casino on left border. Color-tinted, un-divided back. Postmark (Newport News) 11 October 1907, received Centreville, Maryland 12 October 1907. No. 6244, copyright, 1902, Detroit Photographic Co. (pallet logo) C&O Postcard Collection of R. I. CATLIN   COHS   37323 
 Newport News; Terminal; C&O. Catlin Collection   Newport News, Va., Warwick Park - View from Hotel. Day-light view of Warwick Park; sailing ships at anchor in harbor; C&O passenger pier shed on right border. Color-tinted, divided back, postmark 1921 (mailed in England). The Hugh Leighton Co., Manufacturers, Portland, ME., U.S.A., No. 7866. C&O Postcard Collection of R. I. Catlin   COHS   37324 
    This illustration from a contemporary trade journal shows the generator in the combination car which generated the electricity for the lighting. A small steam motor (with steam from the locomotive) in the box turned the generator which supplied the power   COHS   37325 
    “Jack The Ripper,” C&O F-10 4-6-0 #129 was the “big engine” that was assigned to the first FFV trains over the mountains between Clifton Forge and Charlottesville and Clifton Forge and Hinton. Seen here is later years it was still a snappy looking classic tapered boiler engine of the era.    COHS   37326 
    Getting up to speed with its seven cars, The FFV (No. 3) leaves Alderson, West Virginia, on the morning of October 16, 1909 at 9:38 a.m. just an hour late due to heavy mail business. Consist appears to be full RPO, Combine (baggage/coach), two coaches, diner, and two sleepers. A fuzzy but a remarkable action photo for a hundred years ago. W. W. Stevens Photo   COHS   37327 
    A superb classic photo of A-6 4-4-0 No. 55 and a passenger train at an unknown locale in the mid-1890s with its whole crew posing. By this time C&O passenger train crews had uniforms of at sort, at least caps. Note the arched-door RPO/Express car behind the tender. It is still the era of the link-and-pin coupler and giant wooden pilot. The bell is polished and fairly shining.    COHS   37328 
    This C&O train, seen here at the end of the wooden era in 1909-10, has a high-stepping 4-4-2 Atlantic in charge of its seven-car consist of full express, full RPO, and five passenger-carrying cars, at Ft. Spring, West Virginia.    COHS   37329 
    When C&O bought the Chicago, Cincinnati & Louisville Railroad that eventually became its Chicago Division, it began to run its name trains straight through Cincinnati and on to Chicago directly, even though it also continued through interline Pullmans on Big Four trains to that point as well. Here C&O 4-4-2 Atlantic No. 89 is departing Chicago in about 1911 with one of the through trains. This arrangement lasted, with many alterations over the years, until the World War I era.    COHS   37330 
    By the turn of the 20th Century C&O had a number of branch lines in operation and was running local passenger trains on them. Here a one-car train is about to leave Thurmond, West Virginia, to go up the Loup Creek Branch in about 1900 with an 1870s arched window open platform combine car and probably a 2-8-0.    COHS   37331 
    A four car train behind 4-4-0 No. 54 is on the Greenbrier Branch soon after it was opened in 1901. This branch supplied lumber products for the next sixty years and was one of the few C&O branches not devoted to coal. Its passenger traffic held up well, with the last branch line trains running until 1957.   COHS   37332 
    This wonderful, high quality glass plate photo from the late 1890s shows a train time crowd of passengers at Clifton Forge, Virginia, C&O’s mountain terminal. The giant depot/hotel was painted orange with white trim, while the railroad YMCA (for train crews) beside it appears in more subdued colors.    COHS   37333 
    This is an interior builder’s photo of one of the original 1889 FFV coaches. Note the ornate decorations on the walls and especially the ceiling. Pullman photo.   COHS   37334 
    Full RPO car No. 87 was built by C&O shops in 1900 with a steel underframe. By this time railway mail service was hitting its stride in efficiency and performance and the many “apartment” RPO cars C&O was using were supplemented by full cars on its mainline name trains. No. 87 had a steel underframe and end posts and thus is termed a “composite” wood/steel car. The RPOs were the first to get strengthening because the rode in a dangerous position right behind the locomotive. ICC Valuation photo.    COHS   37335 
    Huntington shops turned out this “apartment” RPO and express car in 1901. It seems to have had a very small RPO section with only one window and was probably used on secondary trains, and is shown here at Ashland, Kentucky in 1915, probably on a Louisville-bound train. ICC Valuation photo.   COHS   37336 
    At first mail and express were combined in the same car, but as volume of both increased, separate cars were often needed. His is full express car 145 built at Huntington in 1904, and pictured at Clifton Forge in 1915. ICC Valuation photo.   COHS   37337 
    This is one of the few builder photos we have which show the original FFV cars in 1889. It is combination car #204. Note the train name on the letter board and the ends of the car and the narrow vestibules. The interior of the car had simple walk-over reversible seating and a combination of electric and gas lights. The ornate carved paneling was used even in this humble car. Pullman photo.   COHS   37338 
    This is one of the few builder photos we have which show the original FFV cars in 1889. It is combination car #204. Note the train name on the letter board and the ends of the car and the narrow vestibules. The interior of the car had simple walk-over reversible seating and a combination of electric and gas lights. The ornate carved paneling was used even in this humble car. Pullman photo.   COHS   37339 
    This superb Pullman glass-plate photo of FFV Combine 213 taken at the Pullman plant in 1902 shows the quick evolution from the narrow to the wide vestibule. The narrow construction was found too limited and the wide-full car width vestibule was safer, easier to use for boarding, roomier, and generally a better device. The colors are actually visible in this black and white photo. The body is bright orange, the letterboard maroon, the lettering and striping gold leaf. Pullman photo.   COHS   37340 
    Although Pullman got most of C&O’s business after 1889, Barney & Smith was still supplying cars, as Combine 226 attests. Built by Barney & Smith in October 1893, it had the narrow vestibules, which it still has in this 1915 photo. ICC Valuation photo.   COHS   37341 
    C&O was constantly introducing new names to its existing trains and adjusting their consists and schedules. Combine car No. 217 shown here is a steel underframe composite car delivered in 1907 for the C&O Limited. Since tail signs weren’t yet in vogue, the train name appeared on the baggage side of the combines much as the FFV name appeared on the letter boards. Pullman photo.   COHS   37342 
    The FFV was completely re-equipped beginning in the late 1890s and this wonderful wooden coach was built for the train in 1902 still emblazoned with the name at each end. Pullman photo.   COHS   37343 
    Coach No. 396 from 1903 was comparable in every way to the FFV cars except the name was omitted from the scrollwork at the car ends. The interior of cars is much simpler in design by this time as compared with that of the 1889 era seen previously. Pullman photo.   COHS   37344 
    Coach No. 396 from 1903 was comparable in every way to the FFV cars except the name was omitted from the scrollwork at the car ends. The interior of cars is much simpler in design by this time as compared with that of the 1889 era seen previously. Pullman photo.   COHS   37345 
    Another of the non-Pullman cars of the narrow vestibule era included this Barney & Smith product of 1893, seen at Huntington in 1915. ICC Valuation photo by C&O Railway.   COHS   37346 
    To accommodate first class passengers on routes and times not served by sleeping cars, C&O rostered a group of very high class parlor cars. No. 492 is seen new at Pullman in 1909 at the very close of the wooden era. The interior consisted of very comfortable swiveling overstuffed chairs with a wooden bench at the bulkhead. One can only imagine elite of society in this car being served light meals and drinks. Pullman photo.   COHS   37347 
    To accommodate first class passengers on routes and times not served by sleeping cars, C&O rostered a group of very high class parlor cars. No. 492 is seen new at Pullman in 1909 at the very close of the wooden era. The interior consisted of very comfortable swiveling overstuffed chairs with a wooden bench at the bulkhead. One can only imagine elite of society in this car being served light meals and drinks. Pullman photo.   COHS   37348 
    C&O provided Parlor cars in the coal fields as well. After all, the mine operators, owners, managers, agents, buyers, etc. wanted some first class service as well, even on branch lines. Here a Barney & Smith parlor built in 1889 with narrow vestibules (and probably used on the FFV and other name trains then) is at Quinnimont, West Virginia, being used on a local coal-fields train in 1915. ICC Valuation photo by C&O Ry.   COHS   37349 
    In 1906 Pullman built dining car No. 453 for FFV service. The interior view certainly shows a drastically simpler décor than the 1889 FFV diners, with carpeted floor, decorative niches between large picture windows, arched clerestory widow, and mirrored buffet on the kitchen bulkhead. Still a high-class car. Pullman photo.   COHS   37350 
    In 1906 Pullman built dining car No. 453 for FFV service. The interior view certainly shows a drastically simpler décor than the 1889 FFV diners, with carpeted floor, decorative niches between large picture windows, arched clerestory widow, and mirrored buffet on the kitchen bulkhead. Still a high-class car. Pullman photo.   COHS   37351 
    The other name trains were not neglected as C&O was reequipping the FFV in the first decade of the 20th Century as attested by Diner No. 452 built in 1909. It would have a short life, being replaced by steel cars within a decade. Pullman photo.   COHS   37352 
    We have found no photos of the early wooden-era Pullman cars uses on C&O, but this fine view of the car Alderson dates from 1907. When possible Pullman assigned cars to C&O trains with names associated with the line as in this case, Alderson being a small town of about 1,000 people along the C&O mainline in Greenbrier & Monroe counties West Virginia. It was a 12-section and 1-drawing room car as can be discerned by looking at its exterior wall. The interior view shows the sections set up for day travel. Pullman photo.   COHS   37353 
    We have found no photos of the early wooden-era Pullman cars uses on C&O, but this fine view of the car Alderson dates from 1907. When possible Pullman assigned cars to C&O trains with names associated with the line as in this case, Alderson being a small town of about 1,000 people along the C&O mainline in Greenbrier & Monroe counties West Virginia. It was a 12-section and 1-drawing room car as can be discerned by looking at its exterior wall. The interior view shows the sections set up for day travel. Pullman photo.   COHS   37354 
 Results 11424 to 11473 of 19938  | <<First | <Previous | Next> | Halfway To End | Last>>